Green Rocket Hybrid Cedar®
(Thuja Plicata x Standishii)
Green Rocket® at 2 years old from 30 inch transplants
A fast-growing evergreen for year round screens and windbreaks, the Green Rocket
Hybrid® (Thuja Plicata x Standishii) can grow 3 ft. or more per
year. In fact, on the east coast there have been several instances of 5 ft. of growth
in a single season on established plants.
Green Rocket Hybrid®, one of many of our
fast growing screening trees, has a tall, upright pyramidal rocket shape;
6-10 ft. wide at 25 ft. tall. Other great attributes include:
- Foliage remains year round - no leaves to clean up
- Center leader stem with horizontal branches shed ice and snow loads well
- Pleasant cedar like aroma
- Well anchored trees with strong root systems
- Tolerates drought and most soil conditions once established
- Grows in full sun to part shade
- Deep lustrous green foliage, with bronzing in winter in open areas
- Soft foliage (similar to an arborvitae) is not prickly like some pines and
- Can be trimmed to shorter hedge
- White Tail deer resistant - very little browsing in most areas
- Transplants well in spring, summer, and fall (early fall in protected areas
- Costs less than a privacy fence
- Enhances property values while screening unsightly areas
- Available in 4-inch Rapid Start pots (no transplant shock) shipped to
Green Rocket Hybrid® planting instructions:
- Till or Disc strip of soil 4 ft. wide.
- If possible, incorporate peat moss if you have heavy clay soils.
- Plant at 4-6 ft. spacing for solid screen in just a couple years.
- Use fertilizer tablets or time release fertilizer, at least a few inches
away - none in direct contact with roots.
- Do not plant in wet swampy soils or dense shade.
- Protect plants the first winter where they are subject to extreme wind conditions
in wide open areas. This may be done by using plastic snow fence and burlap,
- Mulch a minimum of 3 ft. circle around each plant and protect from herbicides.
Three year old Green Rocket planting as a screen from 16-24" mini pot
Green Rocket® at 4 years old from 30 inch transplants